Do you know about friendly bacteria in the human body? It may sound weird, friendly bacteria! It is true. More than 40 trillion bacteria are living in our body making colonies in the digestive system especially in the intestines. They are collectively called gut microbiota and are highly important for our health. But there are several bacteria in the intestine of the human body that cause many diseases also. Keeping your gut healthy is prime to a healthy body.
Foods that are great for gut health
The following are some essential foods that are highly beneficial for our gut health:
- Yogurt: Yoghurt is an essential source of bacteria which is called probiotics. However, you should always consume a sugar-free and full-fat version of yogurt. It contains a huge number of bacteria that are very beneficial for our gut.
- Kefir: This is another most important probiotic drink which is packed with good bacteria. This type of probiotic is mainly originated in the mountainous region and is a great addition to smoothies and soups.
- Peas: Peas are also very essential vegetables for enhancing gut health. Peas consist of soluble and insoluble fibre that is needed by the bacteria to flourish. That is the reason why it is highly essential to add peas to our diet.
- Banana: Banana also consists of a kind of fibre that is good for gut health. Apart from fibre, bananas also contain essential minerals that are essential for the good bacteria that live in our intestines.
- Garlic and ginger: Garlic comes up with antibacterial and antifungal properties that can keep the bad bacteria under control. Ginger is also very essential to produce stomach acid and stimulate the digestive system.
Food that can damage the gut and how to avoid them
The following are the foods that can damage your gut:
- Animal protein: Food that is extracted from animal protein such as meat, dairy, and eggs may be beneficial for health but it has some harmful changes in the gut microbiome. Hence you must limit these food items.
- Fried foods: It is tough for the body to digest the fried food and since it is cooked in oils that are rich in saturated fats it can provide harmful effects on the gut. Thus too much consuming fried food can cause stomach irritation, diarrhea, gas, and stomach pain. Limiting fried food can promote gut health.
- Drink too much alcohol: Alcohol is highly toxic and it can cause serious problems in your gut since alcohol can decrease the number of bacteria that are highly beneficial for our gut. Hence, you should limit alcohol as far as possible.
“Gut feeling” is a popular dictum. Scientists have proved its existence. So, have healthy organic food to keep your gut healthy. There are several types of organic and natural foods including readymade food items available online stores like Organikness to keep your gut healthy. A healthy gut is one of the primary requirements of healthy thinking and strong immunity.